Alarm goes off. I think to myself, “Why did I pick THAT piercing alarm…” It’s 7am and the only reason I’ve set it this early is to attempt to “gym it.” I’m a sucker for the snooze button. This time especially I hit snooze once. Dozed off. Got out of bed – couldn’t find my workout clothes – got BACK into bed – alarm went off again – go back OUT of bed – it was a rough one. About to give up, I knew how good I would feel after and successfully made it out the door.
My favorite thing about going to the gym isn’t necessarily anything at the gym itself. Lately, it’s become this plant based protein shake I’ve been drinking when I get home as I’m about to logon to work. I’ll admit it has taken me a while (4 times) to perfect since I was just kind of winging it with the ingredients – but – I think I nailed it. And I can’t wait for you to try it!
I wanted to talk a little bit about the ingredients. I recently splurged (and by splurged I mean I spent a whole $11) on this almond butter below. I had read about their story here and was a fan of how they source their nuts from only environmentally sensitive growers.
Can we just celebrate one more ingredient? A super food? A CHOCOLATE super food?
CACAO in a snapshot.
- has 40x the amount of antioxidants than blueberries
- is the highest plant-based source of iron
- has more calcium than cow’s milk
- is a natural mood elevator
Sounds super to me.
I’ve included the recipe below but please note: since I’ve recently moved, I don’t have a measuring cup, or a mixing bowl, or well a lot of things for that matter. You’ll notice some out of the ordinary measuring utensils…
Cacao & PB Plant-Protein Shake
Simple Instructions: Throw all of these ingredients into a blender in this order. Blend until shake like!
- 1 Banana (1.3 Grams Protein)
- 4 Ice Cubes
- 1 Cup of Kale or Heaping Handful (~2.9 Grams Protein)
- 2 Heaping Teaspoons of Almond Butter (7 Grams Protein)
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon of Natural Peanut Butter (4 Grams Protein)
- 2 Double Shot Glasses Full of Almond Milk (Unsweetened) (1.5 Grams Protien)
- 1 Heaping Table spoon of Cacao (2 Grams Protein)
= ~18 Grams of plant-based protein
PS | Looking for an excuse to eat Talenti gelato? You need more plant based shake containers. If you don’t drink all of it, so easy to save with the Talenti lid and throw into the fridge.
If you try this or have any other plant based protein shake ideas – let me KNOW!